Trauma as Etiology Seminar Topics by Week
Spring 2003 Graduate Seminar
Jennifer J. Freyd & Pamela Birrell
University of Oregon
Return to Course Home Page
See Course Bibliography for additional readings
March 31: Organizational
April 7: Overview of the trauma consequences
Discussion Leaders: Carolyn Allard & Rose Barlow (April
7 Class Notes)
- Ross, C.A (2000) The Trauma Model: A solution to the problem of comorbiditity
in psychiatry. Richardson Texas: Manitou Communications, Inc. Pages 1-63
- Read, J., & Fraser, A. (1998). Abuse histories of psychiatric inpatients:
To ask or not to ask? Psychiatric Services, 49(3), 355-359.
- Kendall-Tackett, K. (2000).
The long-term health effects of victimization. Joining Forces,
- Felitti, V. J. (2002). The
relationship between adverse childhood experiences and adult health: Turning
gold into lead. The Permanente Journal, 6, 44-47.
April 14: Physical Health effects
Discussion Leaders: Jessica Kieras & Bridget Klest (April
14 Class Notes)
- Felitti, V. J. (1991). Long-term medical cosequences of incest, rape, and
molestation. Sourthern Medical Journal, 84(3), 328-331.
- Kendall-Tackett, K. (2000). Physiological
correlates of childhood abuse: Chronic hyperarousal in PTSD, depression, and
irritable bowel syndrome. Child Abuse & Neglect, 24, 799-810.
- Kendall-Tackett, K. (2001).
Chronic pain: The next frontier in child maltreatment research. Child
Abuse & Neglect, 25, 997-1000.
- Romans, S., Belaise, C., Martin, J., Morris, E., & Raffi, A. (2002).
Childhood abuse and later medical disorders in women. Psychotherapy and
Psychosomatics, 71, 141-150.
- Zurbriggen, E.L. & Freyd, J.J. (in press) The link between childhood
sexual abuse and risky sexual behavior: The role of dissociative tendencies,
information-processing effects, and consensual sex decision mechanisms. In
Linda Koenig, Ann O'Leary, Lynda Doll, & Willo Pequenat (Eds.) From
Child Sexual Abuse to Adult Sexual Risk: Trauma, Revictimization, and Intervention.
Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
April 21: Neurobiological and cognitive effects
Discussion Leaders: Lisa Cromer, Anne Mannering, & George Hanawahine (April
21 Class Notes)
- Freyd, J.J. (2003). What is a Betrayal Trauma? What is Betrayal Trauma Theory?
Retrieved April 8, 2003 from http://dynamic.uoregon.edu/~jjf/defineBT.html.
- Freyd, J.J. (2003). What about Recovered Memories? Retrieved April 8, 2003
- Freyd, J.J., DePrince, A.P., & Zurbriggen, E.L. (2001) Self-reported
memory for abuse depends upon victim-perpetrator relationship. Journal
of Trauma & Dissociation 2(3), 5-17.
- Kendall, J. (2003) How
child abuse and neglect damage the brain. Boston Globe, Page C1, September
- Sivers, H., Schooler, J. , Freyd, J. J. (2002) Recovered
memories. In V.S. Ramachandran (Ed.) Encyclopedia of the Human Brain,
Volume 4. (pp 169-184). San Diego, California and London: Academic Press.
- Teicher, M. H. (2002) Scars that won't heal: The neurobiology of child abuse.
Scientific American, 68-75 (March 2002).
- Van der Kolk, B.A. (1996) The body keeps the score: Approaches to the psychobiology
of posttraumatic stress disorder. In B.A. van der Kolk, A.C. McFarlane &
L. Weisaeth (Eds.), Traumatic Stress (pp. 214-241). New York: Guilford
April 28: Effects on psyche/emotions/relationships/distress PART I
Discussion Leaders: Shari Lum & Julien Guillaumot (April
28 Class Notes)
May 5: Effects on psyche/emotions/relationships/distress PART II
Discussion Leaders: Carole Dorham, Jennifer Hogansen, & Allison Lau (May
5 Class Notes)
- Johnson, J. G., Cohen, P., Brown, J., Smailes, E. M., & Bernstein, D.
P. (1999). Childhood maltreatment increases risk for personality disorders
during early adulthood. Archives
of General Psychiatry, 56, 600-606.
- Johnson, J. G., Cohen, P., Gould, M.S., Kasen, S., Brown, J., &Brook,
J.S. (2002) Childhood Adversities, Interpersonal Difficulties, and Risk for
Suicide Attempts During Late Adolescence and Early Adulthood. Archives
of General Psychiatry 59, 741-749.
- Kendler, K.S., Bulik, C.M., Silberg, J., Hettema, J.M., Myers, J., &
Prescott, C.A. (2000) Childhood Sexual Abuse and Adult Psychiatric and Substance
Use Disorders in Women: An Epidemiological and Cotwin Control Analysis Archives
of General Psychiatry 57, 953-959.
- Nelson, E.C., Heath, A.C., Madden, P.A.F., Cooper, M.L., Dinwiddie, S.H.,
Bucholz, K.K., Glowinski, A., McLaughlin, T., . Dunne, M.P., Statham, D.J.,
& Martin, N.G. (2002) Association Between Self-reported Childhood Sexual
Abuse and Adverse Psychosocial Outcomes: Results From a Twin Study. Archives
of General Psychiatry 59, 139-145.
- Read, J., D. Perry, B., Moskowitz, A., & Connolly, J. (2001). The contribution
of early traumatic events to schizophrenia in some patients: A traumagenic
neurodevelopmental model. Psychiatry,
- Widom, C.S. (1999) Childhood Victimization and the Development of Personality
Disorders: Unanswered Questions Remain. Archives
of General Psychiatry, 56, 607-608.
- Leader Council's "Association between Childhood Sexual Abuse History
and Adverse Psychosocial Outcomes." (Description "Nonclinical studies
using rigorous designs that have examined the relationship between child sexual
abuse and psychological harm, after controlling for Social Environment.")
May 12: Interventaion and Prevention (Focus on Epistemology and Discourse)
Discussion Leaders: Rachel Goldsmith & M.S. (May
12 class notes)
- Ross' Trauma Model, pages 225-353 on therapy
- Five excerpts from fiction:
- Allison, Dorothy. Bastard Out of Carolina. New York: Penguin,
- Cao, Lan. Monkey Bridge. New York: Penguin Books, 1997. 1-11.
- McCall, Nathan. Makes Me Wanna Holler. New York: Random, 1994.
- Morrison, Tony. Beloved. New York, Plume, 1987, 210-217.
- O'Brien, Tim. The Things They Carried. New York: Broadway Books,
- Silko, Leslie Marmon. Ceremony. New York: Penguin, 1977. 1-21
May 19: Effects on Political Processes
Discussion Leaders: Sara Wilson, Stephanie Allred, & Jessica Smith (May
19 class notes)
- Introduction and Chapter 1 "Hear no evil, see no evil" (pages
1-29) of Millburn, M.A. & Conrad, S.D. (1996) The Politics of Denial.
Cambidge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Part 1 "Early Personal Experiences Determine Political Behavior"
(pages 1- 45) from DeMause, Lloyd (2002) The Emotional Life of Nations.
New York: Karnac.
- Chapter "Adolf Hitler's Childhood: From Hidden to Manifest Horror"
(pages 142-197) from Miller, A. (1980). For your own good: Hidden cruelty
in child-rearing and the roots of violence. New York: Farrar.
May 26: NO CLASS MEMORIAL DAY
June 2: More on Intervention and Prevention
Discussion Leaders: Linda Ivy & Ted Gardner (June
2 class notes)
- Birrell, P.J. & Freyd, J.J. (in press) Betrayal Trauma: Relational Models
of Harm and Healing. Journal of Trauma Practice.
- Goodman, E. (2002) A pill for what haunts you. Boston Globe, p A19,
14 November 2002
- Grand, S., & Alpert, J.L. (1993) The core trauma of incest: An object
relations view. Professional Psychology Research and Practice, 24,
- Pennebaker, J.W. (1997). Writing
about emotional experiences as a therapeutic process. Psychological
Science, 8, 162-166.
- Rogers, A.G. (1994) Exiled Voices: Dissociation and the "Return
of the Repressed" in Women's Narratives. Stone Center Work in Progress
- Slater, L. (2003) Why Is Repression Possibly Better Than Your Therapist?
York Times, February 23, 2003 (The article is also at: http://www.skfriends.com/why-repression-best.htm
- Vedantam, S (2002) Against
Depression, a Sugar Pill Is Hard to Beat: Placebos Improve Mood, Change
Brain Chemistry in Majority of Trials of Antidepressants, Washington Post,
May 7, 2002; Page A01.
- Walker, M. (2001) When racism gets personal: Toward relational healing.
Stone Center, Work in Prgress No 93.
Return to Course Home Page