Psy 607: Trauma Intervention
Topics by Week
Winter 2005 Graduate Seminar
Jennifer J. Freyd & Pamela Birrell
University of Oregon
Focus books for the course:
Bloom, Sandra. (1997) Creating Sanctuary: toward the evolution of sane societies.
Brewin, Chris (2003) Post-traumatic stress disorder: malady or myth?
Yale University Press.
Recommended books for this course and your personal library:
Herman, J.L. (1997). Trauma and recovery. Basic Books.
Wison, J.P. & Keane, T.M. (Eds) (2004) Assessing Psychological Trauma
and PTSD, Second Edition. Guilford.
Return to Course Home Page
See Course Bibliography for additional readings
January 4: Introduction and Organization
January 11: Trauma, PTSD, A Crisis of Identity
Discussion Leaders: Bridget Klest & Lisa Cromer
- Brewin pages 1-87
- Birrell, P.J. & Freyd, J.J. (in press) Betrayal Trauma: Relational Models
of Harm and Healing. Journal of Trauma Practice.
- Freyd, J.J., Klest, B., & Allard, C.B. (in press). Betrayal trauma:
Relationship to physical health, psychological distress, and a written disclosure
intervention. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation.
Background Readings & Resources:
- Betrayal trauma theory-- if you are not already familiar with betrayal
trauma theory here is a short summary: http://dynamic.uoregon.edu/~jjf/defineBT.html
and this book is on reserve in Knight Library (under Freyd, Psy 401):
Freyd, J.J. (1996). Betrayal trauma theory: The logic of forgetting childhood
abuse. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
January 18: Trauma Theory: Deconstructing the Social
Discussion Leaders: Lori Stewart & Aiko Takahashi
- Bloom pages 1-74
- Burstow, B. (2003) Toward a radical understanding of trauma and trauma work.
Violence Against Women, 9, 1293-1317.
- Foa, E. B. (2000). Psychosocial treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder.
Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 61(Suppl 5), 43-51.
Background Readings & Resources:
- Professional Society Treatment Guidelines: Ken Pope provides links
to 4 that focus on trauma and related issues at http://kspope.com/ethcodes/index.php.
Once you get to that page use your browser searcher to look for instances
of "trauma" on that page and you'll find 2. Then use the searcher
to find instances of "disso" and you should find 2 of those also.
Look around and see what else might be useful to you on this page.
- Important Book-- if you are not already familiar with this book,
it is the classic in the field of trauma recovery: Herman, J.L. (1997). Trauma
and recovery. Basic Books. This book is on reserve in Knight Library (under
Freyd, Psy 401).
January 25: Trauma, Memory, Emotion, & Brain
Guest Speaker 12-1 pm
Discussion Leader: Mary Ann Messiers
- Brewin pages 88-127
- Kubany, E. S., Hill, E. E., & Owens, J. A. (2003). Cognitive trauma
therapy for battered women with PTSD: Preliminary findings. Journal of
Traumatic Stress, 16(1), 81-91.
- Maldonado, J. R., Butler, L. D., & Spiegel, D. (1998). Treatments for
dissociative disorders. In P. E. Nathan & J. M. Gordon (Eds.), A Guide
to treatments that work (pp. 423-446). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Resick, P. A., Nishith, P., & Griffin, M. G. (2003). How well does cognitive-behavioral
therapy treat symptoms of complex PTSD? An examination of child sexual abuse
survivors within a clinical trial. CNS Spectrums, 8(5), 342-351.
February 1: Attachment & Society in Psychiatry
Discussion Leader 1-2 pm: Catherine Tenedios
- Bloom pages 75-114
- Ehlers, A., Clark, D. M. (2003). Early psychological interventions for adult
survivors of trauma: A review. Biological Psychiatry, 53(9), 817-826.
- Chapters 1 & 2 (pages 1-54) and the Appendix (pages 281-321) from Friedrich,
W. N. (2002). Psychological assessment of sexually abused children and
their families. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Lanius, R., et al (2003). Individual differences in a husband and wife who
developed PTSD after a motor vehicle accident: a
functional MRI case study. American Journal of Psychiatry, 160, 667-669.
February 8: Historical Trauma, Oppression, Diversity, & Healing
Discussion Leaders: Sopagna Eap & Melissa Foynes
- Heilbron, C. L. and M. A. J. Guttman (2000). "Traditional healing methods
with First Nation women in group counseling." Canadian Journal of
Counselling 34(1): 3-13.
- Kataoka, S. A., Stein, B. D., Jaycox, L. H., Wong, M., Escudero, P., Tu,
W., Zaragoza, C., & Fink, A. (2003). A school-based mental health program
for traumatized Latino immigrant children. Journal of the Academy of Child
and Adolescent Psychiatry, 42(3), 311-318.
- LeSure-Lester, E. G. (2002). An application of cognitive-behavior principles
in the reduction of aggression among abused African American adolescents.
Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 17(4), 394-402.
- Mills, P. A. (2003). "Incorporating Yup'ik and Cup'ik Eskimo traditions
into behavioral health treatment." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 35(1):
- Otto, M. W., Hinton, D., Korbly, N. B., Chea, A., Ba, P., Gershuny, B. S.,
& Pollack, M. H. (2003). Treatment of pharmacotherapy-refractory posttraumatic
stress disorder among Cambodian refugees: a pilot study of combination treatment
with cognitive-behavior therapy vs sertraline alone. Behaviour Research
and Therapy, 41, 1271-1276.
February 15: Myths and Repression
Discussion Leaders: Sonia Venkatraman
- Brewin pages 128-179
- Bryant, R. A. (2000). Cognitive behavioral therapy of violence-related posttraumatic
stress disorder. Aggression & Violent Behavior, 5(1), 79-97.
- Taylor, T. L., Chemtob, C. M. (2004). Efficacy of treatment for child and
adolescent traumatic stress. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine,
February 22: Trauma Intervention by Creating Sanctuary
Discussion Leaders: Dan Friend & Carolyn Allard
- Bloom pages 115-194
- Bolen, R. M. (2003). "Child sexual abuse: Prevention or promotion?"
Social Work, 48(2), 174-185.
- Geeraert, L., Van den Noortgate, W., Grietens, H., & Onghena, P. (2004).
The Effects of Early Prevention Programs for Families With Young Children
At Risk for Physical Child Abuse and Neglect: A Meta-Analysis. Child Maltreatment,
March 1: Preventing and Treating PTSD
Discussion Leaders: Tiffany Thornton & Sharon Tang
Assignment: If you are taking this course for Behavior Change credit, your
paper is due on March 1.
- Brewin pages 180-224
- Cohen JA, Deblinger E, Mannarino AP, Steer R (2004), A multi-site randomized
controlled trial for multiply traumatized children with sexual abuse-related
PTSD. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43(4):393-402.
- Litz, B. T., Gray, M. J., Bryant, R. A., Adler, A. B. (2002). Early intervention
for trauma: Current status and future directions. Clinical Psychology:
Science & Practice, 9(2), 112-134.
March 8: Summing Up
Guest Speaker: Ari Divine on the Trauma Healing Project
Discussion Leaders: Pam Birrell & Jennifer Freyd
Return to Course Home Page